- 1. Jobs /
- 2. Job Description /
- 3. Job Application
Analytical Scientist - Mass Spectrometry (Full Time)
Analytical Scientist - Mass Spectrometry
APC Ltd is an award-winning and rapidly growing science- and technology-driven pharmaceutical process research company. We have pioneered innovation in the sector and we now partner with 8 of the top-10 pharma and 5 of the top-10 biotech firms in the world.
From our world-class facility, we offer specialised chemical and bioprocess engineering solutions. Powered by novel technology and world-class scientific research, we help companies accelerate the development & launch of their medicines.
Our rapid growth has come from a commitment to excellence, a drive to innovate and the desire to develop a challenging, creative and rewarding environment for our team. If you are interested in a career focused on technical innovation, technology design and impact, we would love to hear from you.
About the team
Department: Technical Operations Reports to: Analytical Functional Lead
Our Analytical team comprises of 17 highly qualified, capable, and welcoming colleagues. We support our clients and our colleagues in the Biologics Function by running cutting-edge analytical methods to assist the delivery of quality, life-changing medicines to the patient across a wide range of therapeutic areas.
Our team vision is to enhance the bioprocess development experience for our clients in a dynamic and cross-collaborative environment.
The role of the Analytical Scientist is to provide analytical support, guidance and oversight to bio/pharmaceutical process research and development projects and activities within APC’s large/small molecule commercial projects portfolio. The Analytical Scientist will work closely with groups of engineers, scientists and other analysts, who are in collaboration on research projects as part of a team to enable the successful deployment and execution of APC’s ACHIEVE and BIOACHIEVE platforms. The Analytical Scientist will also provide mentorship, where applicable, to more junior analytical scientists and represent the APC values in all day to day interactions, both internally and externally.
To support a recent acquisition of an Agilent AdvanceBio 6545XT UPLC-QTOF, APC seeks candidates with experience in LC-MS, either for small molecule pharmaceuticals or biologics (mAbs or vaccines). Specific skills will include some or all of: HPLC and LC-MS method development and validation, quantitative mass spec, structural elucidation of unknown impurities, biologics workflows and associated software for protein characterisation.
If you are looking to start your career in a dynamic, creative, and patient focussed environment then APC is for you.
The Analytical Scientist will have the following responsibilities: -
- Responsible for sample preparation, running, data analysis and reporting of results of analytical analysis for multiple R&D projects in accordance with supplied client guidelines/protocols.
- Work collaboratively with project team (scientists/engineers) to ensure both in-process and final product analytical testing is carried out in a timely manner to ensure project deadlines are achieved.
- Carry out a technical transfer of analytical project methods and clarify any issues with senior Analysts internally and/or analytical scientists externally as required at the beginning of projects, highlight any potential issues/questions that may need to be addressed.
- Carry out equipment ownership responsibilities for assigned equipment, troubleshoot, develop solutions for issues and escalate to senior analysts or the Functional Lead as required.
- Demonstrate competency in the execution of LC-MS workflows, associated software proficiency and typical troubleshooting or instrument maintenance activities.
- Prepare technical presentations and report material, and present the issues, results and project progress across multiple clients as required.
- Ensure the operation to GLP standard within a R&D laboratory is maintained at all times.
- Ensure that safe working practices are adhered to in line with relevant local and legal requirements.
- Based on needs, develop and introduce new techniques, methods and processes to improve business effectiveness.
- Support the training and development of team members – scientists/engineers
- Liaise with the Laboratory Manager as required to maintain a shared awareness of the issues requiring attention within the laboratories.
- Minimum of 1-2+ years industry experience in LC-MS (if PhD qualified); minimum of 3-4 years industry experience (if masters qualified); minimum of 4+ years industry experience (if Bachelors degree qualified); minimum of 5+ years of experience in a lab where HPLC or LC-MS are a major focus.
- Ability to work in a dynamic and multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to write and follow an experimental protocol.
- Experience in LC-MS for “small molecule pharma” or biologics applications.
- Self-motivated with a “can-do” attitude.
- Strong technical writing skills and previous technical presentation experience.
- Ability to disseminate information to research team and directors.
- Hands-on experience with Agilent HPLC/UPLC hardware and Agilent QTOF hardware is a distinct advantage.
- Experience with Masshunter software, libraries, or associated software.
- Strong knowledge of LC-MS method development and method validation.
How to apply
Suitable candidates should submit a CV and a Cover Letter by close of business, Friday 25th June 2021
APC is committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all employees. All employment decisions at APC are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to gender, ethnicity, age, religious belief, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, or any other status protected by Irish law.
Similar vacancies arising in the coming 6 months may be filled from this group of applicants.