- 1. Jobs /
- 2. Job Description /
- 3. Job Application
Process Development Engineer II/III (Full Time)
Process Development Engineer II/III
APC Ltd is an award-winning and rapidly growing science- and technology-driven pharmaceutical process research company. In the space of 5 years, we have pioneered innovation in the sector and we now partner with 8 of the top-10 pharma and 5 of the top-10 biotech firms in the world.
From our world-class facility, we offer specialised chemical and process engineering solutions. Powered by novel technology and world-class scientific research, we help companies accelerate the development & launch of their medicines.
Our rapid growth has come from a commitment to excellence, a drive to innovate and the desire to develop a challenging, creative, and rewarding environment for our team. If you are interested in a career focused on technical innovation, technology design and impact, we would love to hear from you.
About the team
Department: Technical Operations
Reports to: Engineering Functional Lead
Our Engineering team comprises of highly qualified, capable, and welcoming colleagues. We support our clients by delivering world class pharmaceutical process research and development to accelerate the delivery of quality, life-changing medicines to the patient across a wide range of therapeutic areas. Now more than ever the opportunities are greater as technology enhances our capability to make a real difference to patients.
Our team vision is to enhance the process development experience for our clients in a dynamic and cross-collaborative environment, with application of best in class chemical engineering techniques, modelling workflows, and technologies.
If you are looking to further your career in a cutting-edge dynamic, creative, and patient focussed environment then APC is for you.
Principal Duties and Objectives
- Working within a research team, support the planning, organising and delivery of R&D pharmaceutical and/or biopharmaceutical research projects.
- Develop pharmaceutical and/or biopharmaceutical scale-up and optimisation strategies through application of engineering workflows and modelling tools which support the successful tech transfer of the final product to our partners. Create scale down pharmaceutical and biopharmaceutical processes to understand and optimise large scale operations.
- Prepare and review technical presentations and report material, and present the issues, results and project progress to clients as required.
- Based on project needs, develop, and introduce new techniques, methods, and processes to improve business effectiveness.
- Demonstrate the use of problem-solving skills requiring the application of engineering principles, calculations, and computational methods in approaching technical challenges.
- Adopt, maintain, and improve on APC’s engineering workflows and their incorporation into the day-to-day execution of commercial research projects and internal innovation strands.
- Where applicable, coach mentor and train junior team members.
- Provide R&D laboratory support across APC’s Small and/or Large Molecule portfolio through collaboration with scientists and engineers, both internally and externally.
- Perform process development work on Small or Large Molecule unit operations.
- Ensure that operation to GLP standard within a R&D laboratory is always maintained.
- Monitor, develop and optimise pharmaceutical and/or biopharmaceutical reaction and purification unit processes.
- Where applicable, support the execution of commercial and innovation R&D projects using engineering modelling tools such as CFD, Matlab, Python, MVDA, Dynochem etc.
- Solve complex technical problems and take responsibility for implementing the solutions using an Engineering first approach.
- Ensure clear technical reports are written with sound conclusions. Author and review reports as required. Ensure lab book write-up review/closeout is completed.
- Ensure that safe working practices are adhered to in line with relevant local and legal requirements.
- Liaise with the Laboratory Coordinator, Facilities Supervisor, Area Owners and Equipment Owners as required to maintain a shared awareness of the issues requiring attention within the laboratories.
- PhD in Chemical or Bio Engineering or related area; or Msc in Chemical or Bio Engineering or related area; or Bachelors in Chemical or Bio Engineering or related area.
- Minimum of 1-2+ years industry experience in pharmaceutical and/or biopharmaceutical process research and development.
- Experience in pharmaceutical /biopharmaceutical Engineering
- Ability to work in a dynamic and multidisciplinary environment
- Self-motivated with demonstrated project management skills
- Excellent technical communications skills, with previous technical presentation experience
- Ability to disseminate information to research team and directors
- Proficient in PAT for the development of pharmaceutical/Bio Pharmaceutical processes (FBRM, ATR-FTIR, Raman etc)
- Experience in the use of statistical analysis and data driven computational methods
- Skilled in the application of chemical engineering fundamentals (Process and/or reaction modelling)
- Skilled in lab techniques (Aseptic, material handling wet chemistry)
- Proficient in working across various engineering unit ops (e.g. crystallization, drying, TFF)
- Good understanding of DoE and QbD for process development
- Experience with scale-up techniques for processes from laboratory to plant scale
- Background and grounding in MATLAB, DynoChem, Python, CFD, MVDA and JMP.
How to apply
Suitable candidates should submit a CV and a Cover Letter by close of business 18th October 2021
APC is committed to the principle of equal opportunity for all employees. All employment decisions at APC are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to gender, ethnicity, age, religious belief, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, or any other status protected by Irish law.
Similar vacancies arising in the coming 6 months may be filled from this group of applicants.
The salary is negotiable and dependent on the experience of the successful candidate.