- 1. Jobs /
- 2. Job Description /
- 3. Job Application
Lead Modeller (Contract)
SUMMARY OF THE ROLE:
The position of Lead Modeller requires someone with several years of experience in a similar senior or leadership role working on broadcast or film projects.
Successful applicants will have excellent communication skills, attention to detail, the ability to work collaboratively with multiple tasks in a fast paced production.
They will have a solid grounding in a production modelling Pipeline a well-developed 'eye', a good working knowledge of art, design and an expertise in modelling in Maya. They will be expected to contribute to the Brown Bag Modelling Pipeline.
Key Areas of responsibilities:
- Create key character models, including facial expressions, and ensure the meshes adhere to Brown Bag’s modelling pipeline with correct topology and edge flow for rigging.
- Create character concept sculpts in Z-brush to aid look development of assets.
- Create Key location assets which are optimized and economical and adhere to project’s pipeline.
- Work with the Modelling Supervisor to establish, maintain and update the modelling pipeline for the project and studio.
- Provide regular progress updates to production manager and 3D supervisor on any technical/workflow bottlenecks within the modelling schedule.
- Supervise the quality control (both technically and visually) of the external asset assignments and ensure the outsource partner has clear direction from a modelling perspective.
- Approve or complete retake notes on the Assets, via Shotgun when required.
- Define, document and communicate standards and techniques for modelling that maximizes efficiency and ensures a consistent quality under the technical specifications of the project.
- Provide leadership and support for the in-house and external modelling teams, both creatively and technically, to facilitate the completion of the modelling assignments on schedule.
- Train Junior Modellers on the project
- Must have at least 6 years’ experience working as a Modeller (or similar position) in either broadcast or feature film work.
- Must have demonstrated leadership capability in previous positions.
- Must be comfortable with outsource management with an emphasis on clear communication and follow through.
- Full understanding of technical character modelling to aid rigging (Good topology, Edgeflow and anatomical proportions)
- Must have a thorough understanding of creating efficient meshes for a pipeline (subdivision, instancing etc)
- Must have an excellent working knowledge of Maya.
- Must have a working knowledge of Z-brush and/or Mudbox
- Task Driven, self-motivated, and proactive
- Must be open to direction.
- Knowledge of Python (and/or Mel) is considered a big plus but not essential.
- Experience with shotgun (or asset tracking systems) is considered a big plus.
- Experience in pipeline development a big plus but not essential.
- Ability to train Junior Artists on the project
BROWN BAG FILMS are one of Europe’s most exciting, original and successful creative-led animation studios. After 21 years in business, their Dublin-based headquarters continue to produce cutting-edge animation for the international market, bagging numerous awards along the way. These include Oscar® nominations for Give Up Yer Aul Sins (2002), Granny O’Grimm’s Sleeping Beauty (2010), four Emmy® awards for Peter Rabbit (2014), and a host of BAFTA, Emmy® and Annie nominations for their hit shows Octonauts, Doc McStuffins, Bing and Henry Hugglemonster.
BROWN BAG FILMS' much-loved TV shows are viewed by millions of children worldwide and include Doc McStuffins, Henry Hugglemonster, Peter Rabbit, Bing, Olivia, Noddy in Toyland, and Octonauts. Their most recent production is the animated pre-school series The Stinky & Dirty Show for Amazon Studios which premiered on Amazon Prime in January 2015 as part of the Amazon Pilots Season. With a second office in LA, and a newly opened third facility in the UK implementing a long form 2D animation pipeline, BROWN BAG FILMS are committed to producing the highest-quality, cross-platform animation with strong stories and engaging characters.
Founded in 1994 by Cathal Gaffney and Darragh O'Connell, BROWN BAG FILMS have worked with some of the world’s biggest entertainment names, including Disney, Nickelodeon, BBC, Chorion, Silvergate Media and Amazon Studios. BROWN BAG FILMS recently partnered with publishing house Scholastic UK to jointly develop publishing and animated content for children’s audiences. In 2015 BROWN BAG FILMS announced their acquisition by 9 Story Media Group, a leading creator, producer and distributor of award-winning content for young audiences around the world.
The studio is among the most technically-advanced in the world, with full animation, picture and audio post-production facilities in-house. Their motto is simple: 'We love animation'. In fact, they love it so much they trademarked it: 'WE LOVE ANIMATION™.’