- 1. Jobs /
- 2. Job Description /
- 3. Job Application
Lead FX Artist (Contract)
JOB TITLE: Lead FX Artist
REPORTING TO: Production Manager
Supervised by: VFX Supervisor, 3D supervisor
SUMMARY OF THE ROLE:
The position of Lead FX Artist requires someone with a thorough knowledge of 3D software and its application of 3D effects such as Particles, fluids, Dynamic collisions and Fracturing.
Successful applicants will have excellent communication skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work collaboratively with multiple tasks in a fast paced production.
They will have a well-developed 'eye', a good working knowledge of effects design for stylised animation as well as a solid technical grounding in Maya. They will be expected to contribute to the Brownbag’s FX Pipeline.
Key Areas of responsibilities:
- Establish key FX set-ups for episodes working closely with the Art Director/EP Director/3D Supervisor to set the required look.
- Create re-usable FX Assets ensuring they adhere to FX pipeline and meet the show’s visual requirements of the both the Art Director and EP Director.
- Create Asset Launch notes for external FX assets via Shotgun.
- Complete retake notes on Shot’s FX submissions via Shotgun.
- Work with the VFX Supervisor to ensure the project’s FX pipeline is reliable and economical and is adhered to throughout production.
- Provide regular progress updates to production manager and 3D supervisor on any technical/workflow bottlenecks within the FX schedule.
- Supervise the quality control (both technically and visually) of the external asset assignments and ensure the outsource partner has clear direction from a FX and shading perspective.
- Define, document and communicate standards and techniques for FX that maximizes efficiency and ensures a consistent quality under the technical specifications of the project.
- Provide leadership and support for the in-house and external FX teams, both creatively and technically, to facilitate the completion of FX assignments on schedule.
- Collaborate with the 3D & VFX Supervisor to make requests for studio pipeline tool enhancements
- Train Junior FX Artists on the project.
- Must have at least 5 years’ experience working as a VFX artist (or similar position) in either broadcast or feature film work.
- Must be comfortable with outsource management with an emphasis on clear communication and follow through.
- Must have an excellent working knowledge of FX in Maya and/or Houdini.
- Must have a good understanding of Maya Dynamics and particle systems.
- Knowledge of other programs such as Realflow, Nuke X particles, Fume, After FX, Naiad will be considered
- Must have a good “eye” and a thorough understanding of light, color, contrast, shading, and FX design.
- Task Driven, self-motivated, and proactive
- Must be open to direction.
- Must demonstrate attention to detail in the finishing of FX in shots.
- Knowledge of Python (and/or Mel) is considered a big plus.
- Experience with shotgun (or asset tracking systems) is considered a big plus.
- Experience in CG effects pipeline development a big plus.
- Ability to train Junior Artists on the project
- Ability to work collaboratively with multiple tasks in a fast paced production.
Please provide Showreel
closing date: 30/06/2018
BROWN BAG FILMS are one of Europe’s most exciting, original and successful creative-led animation studios. After 21 years in business, their Dublin-based headquarters continue to produce cutting-edge animation for the international market, bagging numerous awards along the way. These include Oscar® nominations for Give Up Yer Aul Sins (2002), Granny O’Grimm’s Sleeping Beauty (2010), four Emmy® awards for Peter Rabbit (2014), and a host of BAFTA, Emmy® and Annie nominations for their hit shows Octonauts, Doc McStuffins, Bing and Henry Hugglemonster.
BROWN BAG FILMS' much-loved TV shows are viewed by millions of children worldwide and include Doc McStuffins, Henry Hugglemonster, Peter Rabbit, Bing, Olivia, Noddy in Toyland, and Octonauts. Their most recent production is the animated pre-school series The Stinky & Dirty Show for Amazon Studios which premiered on Amazon Prime in January 2015 as part of the Amazon Pilots Season. With a second office in LA, and a newly opened third facility in the UK implementing a long form 2D animation pipeline, BROWN BAG FILMS are committed to producing the highest-quality, cross-platform animation with strong stories and engaging characters.
Founded in 1994 by Cathal Gaffney and Darragh O'Connell, BROWN BAG FILMS have worked with some of the world’s biggest entertainment names, including Disney, Nickelodeon, BBC, Chorion, Silvergate Media and Amazon Studios. BROWN BAG FILMS recently partnered with publishing house Scholastic UK to jointly develop publishing and animated content for children’s audiences. In 2015 BROWN BAG FILMS announced their acquisition by 9 Story Media Group, a leading creator, producer and distributor of award-winning content for young audiences around the world.
The studio is among the most technically-advanced in the world, with full animation, picture and audio post-production facilities in-house. Their motto is simple: 'We love animation'. In fact, they love it so much they trademarked it: 'WE LOVE ANIMATION™.’