- 1. Jobs /
- 2. Job Description /
- 3. Job Application
Lead Rigger (Contract)
SUMMARY OF THE ROLE:
The position of Lead Rigger requires someone with a good general knowledge of Maya and excellent specific knowledge of its constraint, deformer and dynamics systems, and also be proficient with python and maya tool development. He/she should have several years’ experience rigging in a broadcast / film production environment. Successful applicants will be open to direction, have good communication skills, leadership skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work collaboratively with multiple tasks in a fast paced production. A Lead Rigger will work closely with the Head of Character Assets to ensure working practices are in line with department standards, and also contribute to the ongoing development of tools and practices.
KEY AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop show specific custom rigs
- Maintain show specific code and tools
- Schedule and delegate work
- Liaise with Head of Character Assets regarding project details
- Provide regular progress updates to production manager and Rigging supervisor on any technical bottlenecks concerning the rigging schedule.
- Design, create, test and maintain character set ups.
- Provide technical feedback to modelling dept.
- Collaborate with animators to design motion controls.
- Create secondary dynamics systems.
- Work with production management to prioritize tasks
- Troubleshooting problems with animated rig
- Communicate with the overseas studio
- QC the external asset assignments and ensure the outsource partner has clear direction from a rigging perspective.
- Expected to launch a new property to establish both Look and/or pipeline for the project.
- Expected to mentor and train Junior artists on their team
- Work with department supervisor to establish and update the workflow/pipeline for the brownbag studio global pipeline
- Provide leadership and support for the in-house and external teams on the global BBF pipeline
- Maintain documentation on pipeline and workflow
- Should have at least 6 years’ experience working as a Rigger in either broadcast or feature film work.
- Must have an excellent working knowledge of rigging Maya.
- Task Driven, self-motivated, and proactive
- Must be open to direction
- Must demonstrate attention to detail in finishing of assets.
- Must have excellent leadership skills
- Must be a good communicator and be fluent in English
- Knowledge of Python is a must.
- Proficiency in developing tools for Maya a big plus.
- Experience with shotgun (or asset tracking systems) is considered a big plus.
- Experience with GIT is considered a big plus.
- Experience with developing PyQt/PySide tools considered a big plus.
- Experience in pipeline/workflow development Past experience or proven ability to train junior artists
BROWN BAG FILMS are one of Europe’s most exciting, original and successful creative-led animation studios. After 21 years in business, their Dublin-based headquarters continue to produce cutting-edge animation for the international market, bagging numerous awards along the way. These include Oscar® nominations for Give Up Yer Aul Sins (2002), Granny O’Grimm’s Sleeping Beauty (2010), four Emmy® awards for Peter Rabbit (2014), and a host of BAFTA, Emmy® and Annie nominations for their hit shows Octonauts, Doc McStuffins, Bing and Henry Hugglemonster.
BROWN BAG FILMS' much-loved TV shows are viewed by millions of children worldwide and include Doc McStuffins, Henry Hugglemonster, Peter Rabbit, Bing, Olivia, Noddy in Toyland, and Octonauts. Their most recent production is the animated pre-school series The Stinky & Dirty Show for Amazon Studios which premiered on Amazon Prime in January 2015 as part of the Amazon Pilots Season. With a second office in LA, and a newly opened third facility in the UK implementing a long form 2D animation pipeline, BROWN BAG FILMS are committed to producing the highest-quality, cross-platform animation with strong stories and engaging characters.
Founded in 1994 by Cathal Gaffney and Darragh O'Connell, BROWN BAG FILMS have worked with some of the world’s biggest entertainment names, including Disney, Nickelodeon, BBC, Chorion, Silvergate Media and Amazon Studios. BROWN BAG FILMS recently partnered with publishing house Scholastic UK to jointly develop publishing and animated content for children’s audiences. In 2015 BROWN BAG FILMS announced their acquisition by 9 Story Media Group, a leading creator, producer and distributor of award-winning content for young audiences around the world.
The studio is among the most technically-advanced in the world, with full animation, picture and audio post-production facilities in-house. Their motto is simple: 'We love animation'. In fact, they love it so much they trademarked it: 'WE LOVE ANIMATION™.’